Friday, July 26, 2013

Quarter of a Century

I am 25 years old today.

Usually my birthdays don't phase me.
I scoff at people that gripe "oh I am sooooo old!"
I recently developed like 16 gray hairs on my head so I kinda get it.
But at the same time we are all going to age and die and it is what it is, so savor it.

Anyhow, I was kind of marveling at the whole "quarter of a century old" thing and the significance of time and history and human life and Eli pointed out that I am no longer in my "low 20s" and that made me go "hoooooly toledo you're right!"   Isn't it strange the world of difference (at least culturally portrayed) between low 20s and upper 20s?

In your low 20s you can stay out all night partying and you're probably in college or at least supposed to be in a job you only work for the money so you can go on adventures and do artistic things.  The hangovers aren't that bad and you're all over social media with your hipster friends.

In your late 20s you are supposed to be established--serious relationship, maybe a kid (unless you are in Utah, DEFINITELY like 3 kids at this point or you're failing at life) and you don't do kegstands anymore, you have "a glass of wine" as a "nightcap" and you have a career now.

What??! Where do these stereotypes happen?
Anyhow, this is all to say that I suddenly feel some kind of pressure that I'm trying to shake off because that is just ridiculous. Everyone should just live their own life and be done with the rest of it.
Stop trying to attain perfection (and by that I mean what Hollywood and Twitter and Facebook make you think you should be doing and create this panic in your gut that you are missing out) and focus on your breath and what YOU WANT.

Today I have been doing that.
I have had 2 maple donuts, a cup of delicious coffee (Salvador Honey Angel, whatever that is. Delicious is what it is), and I am currently drinking my pomegranate green iced tea. I've listened to "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright" and "Babylon" all morning because good, depthfull songs are what it is about on a quarter-of-a-century birthday and I have a blue balloon that the girl at the grocery gave me when I bought the donuts and sweet tea.  I rather felt like Winnie the Pooh, walking back to the office with this bobbing balloon dancing waverlyishly over my head. And then I started thinking about dear stuffed Pooh and the quote "rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there someday."  and felt really good.
Pooh Bear knows what is UP.
I also thought about how I asked for the full illustrated edition of the books for Christmas a few years ago and got it (Mom and Dad know me so well).  And how you can never be too old for Winnie the Pooh.
Which just kind of says everything about life and age and birthdays, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment