Thursday, October 4, 2012

Save Big Bird !

You may or may not know,
but in the first U.S. Presidential Debate last night (which was intense and informative and quote surprising actually), candidate Mitt Romney was talking about places to save money by cutting programs, and said

“I’m going to stop the subsidy to PBS … I like PBS. I love Big Bird... but I’m not going to keep on spending money on things to borrow money from China.”

He said this to the debate's mediator, Jim Lehrer, who works for PBS.  Brilliant.


I was pretty horrified by this.
I mean, come on, PBS gets support from the government, and does those tel-a-thons all the time, and they're still just keeping afloat.

EDIT: Check out this statement released by PBS:
We are very disappointed that PBS became a political target in the Presidential debate last night. Governor Romney does not understand the value the American people place on public broadcasting and the outstanding return on investment the system delivers to our nation. We think it is important to set the record straight and let the facts speak for themselves. The federal investment in public broadcasting equals about one one-hundredth of one percent of the federal budget. Elimination of funding would have virtually no impact on the nation’s debt. Yet the loss to the American public would be devastating.


Yes-- it is an incredible channel! Part of me is biased because PBS airs Arthur and American Experience, not to mention my beloved Anne of Green Gables marathons, but it is host to hundreds of incredible, informative shows.
And, as my best friend has so kindly pointed out,
PBS is host to Downton Abbey.  I'd like to see Romney take on the Crawleys!!


Sesame Street is one of those shows.  Being raised on the street myself (Sesame Street, that is), I can attest to the general awesomeness of the show.  My mom and I used to dance around singing to some great hits from this show, including the badass yet educational "walk" song featuring singing 80s-decked-out pigs.  Yeah, that's right.


And that song taught me to differentiate the word "WALK," so I can proudly say that I was never once in danger of being run over by a vehicle, even when I was in London and they made it their job to run me down.  Thanks to those 3 rockin' piggies.

Come on Romney, don't be easy on Wall Street and hard on Sesame Street.
Those puppets never did anything to you except sing you the alphabet and encourage happiness and cookie binges!

I shall now unleash the memes...








No comments:

Post a Comment