Saturday, April 14, 2012

Great Gatsby Style

I am really, really, really eager for the new Great Gatsby to come out.
Both because I have a long-standing love affair with the book and the culture of Gatsby, and because Leonardo DiCaprio as Jay Gatsby should be absolutely incredible.

I don't know how I feel about Tobey Maguire playing Nick--Maguire doesn't look naive enough to play narrator Nick--just look at his expression in both of these screenshots!! I think his acting style is a little weak, fluttering, generally weasel-ish, and over-agitated for the role, but I'll keep an open mind when I see it.
I'm also not a huge fan of Isla Fisher, who is going to play the role of Myrtle, who is dowdy, flawed, and insecure in her desperation for Tom's love. I don't want Isla to do her typical over-acting goofy character as Myrtle. Because although Myrtle is illogical, she isn't the airhead that Fisher typically represents---I'm crossing my fingers that this is a breakthrough role for her where she shows some serious insight and acting chops. And lastly, Carey Mulligan as Daisy...hmm, fascinating casting here. I have every faith in her doing the character some serious justice!


But enough about my film desires--lets get into some Gatsby inspiration!

 This look on the left is very Myrtle--
trying to be up to the times (the Roaring 20s), but still mixing some plain, casual pieces with a few trendy, nicer ones (something we've all been known to do, and a look particularly dear to my heart).


These whimsical, flowing dresses are very Daisy--as we see in the excerpt below.

"The only completely stationary object in the room was an enormous couch on which two young women were buoyed up as though upon an anchored balloon. They were both in white and dresses were rippling and fluttering as if they had just been blown back in after a short flight around the house." page 10.



For dudes! I know, you can't all look as dashing as the Redford...but damn. You can try!

Getting the look today....
LOVE this.



Here's to hoping the new movie brings back this sense of fun and lavish, otherworldly styles!!

No comments:

Post a Comment