Thursday, June 21, 2012

Non-Sequiturs and a few First World Problems

I absolutely love the movie A Month by the Lake. It is so chill and old school and is filmed on Lake Como, which is on my top 10 list of places to visit.
It stars Vanessa Redgrave, a favorite of mine, and is set in the days before WWII.
And boy is she hot, for being a tough old bird.  It is sweet, nostalgic, and makes me pine for Italy.
I watch it far too often!


My teeth hurt. Bad.
I am all about food and eating, and when something interferes with that, I do not respond well.
So now I need to get a bunch of dental work done and I've put it off because my mouth is still recovering from surgery.
The nasty mouthwash my oral surgeon gave me has eaten away my teeth and I think that the decay has given me 5-6 cavities that are causing the pain (along with my cracked molar, thanks to an incompetent dentist), and what makes it extra difficult is I only have one side of my mouth to chew on anyway! So it isn't as if I can go "oh well, guess I'll just use the other one."
And liquid diets are possibly the worst thing invented, after genocide, polka music, and the taste of Pepto Bismol.


I hung out with an old pal of mine today and it was fabulous.
She is a history professor and used to be my mentor in college, and I worked as her research assistant for 2 years. It was probably the best job I will ever have and I dearly miss it--I am actually hoping to be hired on at one of the local colleges. I'm just an academic at heart and they say do what you love!
So we grabbed lunch today and then hung out on my porch barefoot, her chain-smoking and me eating grapefruit and dodging a wasp determined to end my life.
We gossiped like there was no tomorrow and had a hilarious conversation about a pan-sexual nudist colony.
Everyone tells me I'm going to end up like her, but I think I'm already there! When we met for lunch we ran into each other in the parking lot because we were both 10 minutes late, and we both had wet hair.


I realized I stash books.  I keep them in nooks and crannies and I have little emergency stacks! They are everywhere I turn and I am rapidly running out of space for them. But if I can think of one quandary I could have in life, I would glad to have this be it-- "Where can I put my ever-growing collection of books?"

Speaking of which, I finished Hunger Games. whoooooosh. What an epic ending. It had my stomach in knots! And the same night I finished the series, my husband started book 1. And boy is he into it!
The ending is not what I expected and it frustrated me to the point that I couldn't sleep, but the more I think about it the more I go "okay, I can accept that."
I also didn't like how whiny Katniss is in the last book. Jesus! Just pull it together already and stop pitying yourself! It reminded me of Harry in Order of the Phoenix. No one likes a grumpy pants!
And I wasn't happy with what happened to Finnick, because I enjoyed him and he reminded me of Sirius Black.


My deodorant stopped working. Which is definitely a lame First-World Problem but geez.
It really bugs me, since this is the 4th brand I have tried that just craps out after a few hours.
I know I don't stink and I am overreacting, but when I feel sweaty and don't smell good 2 hours after I shower, it is not going to be a fun time.  I've done Dove, Degree, Secret (clinical strength and regular)..the list goes on and on. So it is off to the drugstore tomorrow for the ultimate search. Pathetic, I know.



I hate that Vicky is so far away. She is having a really shitty time and I want to be there for her more than anything. She may have a tumor in her leg, among other problems, but dealing with the healthcare system in the UK is slow and she is in a lot of pain, all of the time. She was at the Emergency today trying to get help and once again it didn't go well. We were FaceTiming about it and honestly, us trying to have a normal FaceTime is like shooting craps. You just have no idea if the picture and sound will be clear, or if it is going to freeze up, hang up, etc.  Another First World Problem. BUT COME ON!


We at at Market Street Grill tonight for the first time in a long time and DAMN their clam chowder is good. Especially with a gin and tonic with extra lime. Yum yum yum!
We actually had a bartender in Vegas recognize us from our many trips (again, pathetic) and when I asked for extra lime with my G&T he gave me a bowl with 5 limes in it! I was in heaven. I ate every last one (yes, I am the weird girl you see in bars/restaurants sucking on lemons and limes entirely by themselves. Certainly cannot be helping with my tooth decay problem).

I just can't do watercolors.
Everytime I try it is a watery, incomprehensible mess. Not an abstract breathtaking mess. Just bad.
I am much better at acrylics, and just need to accept it. I wasted 2 hours yesterday attempting a watercolor (I could picture it so vividly in my mind!!) and ripped it up in the end. Then I did an acrylic, which is more suited to me since I am so impatient and paint so fast I need a medium with a practical drying time, and it turned out quite well. Painting is wonderful, semi-free therapy and I need to keep it up.
I can literally complete a canvas in a few hours, if I'm in the right mood. I wish canvas were cheaper.


I can't find a doctor to get me some of that thyroid medicine! I need to wait for my naturopath to get back in town next week and get some help from him. I've been doing the temperature taking every morning, before I get out of bed, and i is consistently 96, except this morning, when I hit 97 (woohoo), but I think that has something to do with the fact that I slept with my heating pad all night.  Eli was sweating because it was a hot one last night, but I have such a low body temp that I froze! Hypothyroid!
I got a supplement that has helped significantly, to the point that I am able to actually function somewhat during the day, instead of staring blankly at fruit bowls and Scuttle the crab. So that's something, but I can still tell my thyroid gland needs a jolt that only true desiccated thyroid can provide. Gross but true.


Eli and I were cuddling in bed last night talking about sexual relations between Harry Potter characters (this is as normal to us as breathing, I should add) and I said something like "I would do Dean Thomas so haaaaard!!!" and he just sighed.  Oh soul mates.


I saw a man throw a block of cheese at a woman today. True---a big ol' hunk of colby-jack!
It hit her in the shoulder and she didn't say anything, nor did he, and they walked off. A few minutes later a random child took off with the abandoned weapon-cheese.  It was bizarre and their casual reactions freaked me out! It must be a common thing for this man to be hucking dairy items at his wife. And that's just sick, though I kind of wish Eli would toss some dairy at me once in a while!


I had a dream I was playing touch-football with the Kennedys.  They are way too competitive. I woke up with calf cramps. For real.

We're going to have fresh banana bread for breakfast tomorrow. Yum Yum Yum.

And on that note, goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment